posted on January 1, 2023
Envision: Site Associate in New York City
New York City is incredibly diverse, with 800+ languages spoken and more foreign-born residents than most cities! This includes 80+ unreached/unengaged people groups (UPGs). Many are drawn here for education, a career, or just hoping for a better future. We believe Jesus ordained their movements so that they would meet and follow Him (Acts 17:26–27). Would you join us in welcoming them in Jesus’ name? If you are passionate about technology, ESL, immigrant advocacy, arts, children’s ministry, teaching, sewing, evangelism, or another gift God has given you, we invite you to explore how to use those passions in ministry among an unreached diaspora community.
- Develop ministry specific to your unique passion and calling among an unreached diaspora community
- Cultivate relationships within the C&MA and other churches to champion for diaspora missions
- Help facilitate Envision NYC immersion experiences in the unreached diaspora context
- Foster development of individuals for cross-cultural ministries, including mentoring interns, coordinating ministry volunteers, and working together with diaspora insiders
- Collaborate with the Envision NYC team to develop personally and in ministry
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- Completion of the World Perspectives Mission Course (minimum of certificate level) or equivalent
- Teachable spirit
- Willingness to contextualize in culturally relevant ways
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team
- Previous cross-cultural experience
- Willingness to travel by public transportation
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Beginning as early as summer/fall 2023. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program (as applicable), and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
Envision – NYC
Language is an essential part of ministry. In NYC, many immigrants want to learn and practice English, so most ministry happens in English. However, it is incredibly beneficial to at least be able to greet people or have deeper conversations in their heart language. The amount of language learning required will be determined by the specific diaspora context.
Navigating New York City requires a lot of walking and the use of public transportation.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
The city has a myriad of educational options for children, including homeschooling and public and private school.