posted on January 1, 2023
Envision: Site Associate in Japan
The successful applicant(s) will join a new Envision team to work closely with a catalytic church-planting team in Sendai and initiate new ministries and partnerships. The individual or couple will be expected to evangelize and disciple locals, as well as host and disciple short-term teams and interns. Working in this cross-cultural environment requires a missional calling, willingness to work on a team, flexibility, and an innovative mindset.
- Partner with local ministries (local Alliance churches, Alliance international workers, and other key ministries)
- Develop and implement a discipleship and development program for all short-term volunteers
- Build and maintain partnerships with U.S. churches desiring involvement in overseas missions
- Host teams and interns, taking care of logistics for trips and ministry experiences
- Develop a ministry in the community/church by applying personal gifts and experience
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- Completion of the World Perspectives Mission Course (minimum of certificate level) or equivalent
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 80
- Demonstrated proficiency in a vocation
- Study within a relevant field of expertise
- A passing score on the Bible Knowledge Exam
- Leadership skills, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a gift of hospitality
- Experience in group and event planning
- Experience in mentoring or coaching
- Experience in evangelism and discipleship
- Good interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program, and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
The applicant(s) will live in Sendai, Japan—a generally safe, developed city with excellent public services. Specific housing options will be explored following appointment.
World Factbook – Japan
Joshua Project – Japan
Language is an essential part of ministry. Those who do not know the language will attend a language study program. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
Envision coordinators and associates receive one year of intensive language and cultural study, paid for by The Alliance. If a couple is hired, both individuals are required to participate in language study.
The Christian and Missionary Alliance is an evangelical denomination committed to planting churches both in the U.S. and internationally. Due to the nature of this ministry opportunity, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These are assessed during the application process.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Some workers choose either public school or homeschooling. Tohoku International School in Sendai is also a recommended option.