posted on January 1, 2023
aXcess: Tea Drinking, Disciple Making, and Church Planting in Central Asia
The warm openness of the people will allow for opportunities to build relationships and share truth with those you encounter throughout your day. Living in our large city allows for a variety of ministry options that will connect with your passions and skills. Through your ministry role, intentional interaction with locals will create avenues for disciple making, church planting, and leadership development. Opportunities for work within and outside the city are available. Much of the ministry work is accomplished at tables, sharing tea, and doing life side-by-side with locals.
- International worker (IW)–aXcess–Clergy Track
- Church planting, community development (rural and urban), discipleship, evangelism, leadership development, and NGO
- Creative-access country (CAC)
- Single or couple
- Learn to speak the local language and adapt to the local culture
- Make new contacts and develop relationships that create opportunities to share your faith
- Disciple new believers
- Lead/participate in Bible studies, team meetings, outreach events, etc.
- Cultivate your ministry role and skills needed for your presence
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of at least 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies
- Spouse must hold a recognized bachelor’s degree and have completed at least 18 hours of Bible/theology, 12 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of 6 hours in cross-cultural or missions studies)
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- Completion of Alliance ordination/consecration
- Minimum of two years successful Alliance Licensed Ministry Experience
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 40
- Certificate in a practical skill (TESOL, community development, medical-related certificate, sports, etc.)
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program, and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
This is a beautiful, mountainous country with moderate four-seasons weather. The majority religion of Central Asia has taken over this country, keeping most people bound in fear and darkness. There is a small body of believers, making up 0.02 percent of the total population. However, most of the registered churches in our city are Russian speaking. We desire to see the Kingdom spread among local people in their heart language. Because of deep poverty in this post-Soviet country, many families are separated or broken due to one or both parents working in another city or country. While people may have few resources, they are quick to invite you into their homes, creating opportunities to build relationships and share the good news. Locals love to talk about religion, creating open doors to share your faith in a variety of settings.
Language is an essential part of ministry. Those who do not know the language will attend a language study program. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
Language study is a self-driven, curriculum-based program carried out with the help of local language helpers. Over the course of your two-year language study, you will use self-study, class time, and intentional immersion to work through language proficiencies. Together with your language coach, you will set goals and receive support through the language learning season.
The health care system is available for mild injuries and illnesses. Serious medical conditions are difficult to address in-country.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Within our city, there are several options for local and international schools in English for children pre-K through 12th grade.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends, family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Applicant(s) should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
Please email the IPO office at [email protected]
As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which is modeled and reflected through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.