posted on January 19, 2022
aXcess: Join a Team Developing Lay Leaders Throughout Thailand
Working within a team framework and expected to make a strong contribution, the successful applicant(s) will help train Thai pastors and church leaders to use the Center for Leadership Development (CLD) curriculum to raise up lay leaders in their churches. It is essential to have well-trained leaders for the Great Commission to be fulfilled. There is no shortcut to success in this dimension of missions. CLD has a vision to see churches across the country of various denominations—particularly Thai C&MA churches—utilize a proven process for training and multiplying effective lay leaders.
- International worker (IW)—aXcess—clergy track
- Discipleship, leadership development, theological education
- Partially funded
- Single or couple
- Be intentional about sharing the gospel in a Thai context
- Disciple new believers
- Lead a CLD group in a local church
- Work with the CLD team to develop and promote the program and conduct training workshops for leaders of new groups
- Visit CLD groups to mentor and encourage the leaders of these groups
- Participate and contribute to the strategy meetings of the team
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of at least 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies
- Note: If a couple, one spouse must meet this requirement. It’s preferable that the other spouse holds a recognized bachelor’s degree, has strong ministry experience, and has completed the C&MA Polity course and at least 18 hours of Bible/theology and 12 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of 6 hours in cross-cultural or missions studies).
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 60
- Completion of Alliance ordination or consecration (all singles or one member per couple)
- Minimum of two years of successful Alliance Licensed Ministry Experience
- Giftedness in teaching, especially in non-formal settings
- Completed academic courses in leadership development
- Previous experience in leadership development
- Previous experience in curriculum revision and development
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
Northeastern Thailand has several modern, growing cities with shopping malls, grocery stores, Western restaurants, and more. Internet and cell phones are readily available. The Thai people are friendly and gracious, but they are still bound by the appeasement of evil spirits and the practice of the majority religions. Applicants will live in either Khon Kaen city or Udon Thani city depending on their needs. Frequent travel may be necessary to a variety of settings including rural, less developed areas, and staying overnight in the homes of local believers or possibly in basic hotels.
CIA World Factbook—Thailand
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive one year of intense language classes, followed by ongoing language and cultural acquisition. The second year will emphasize opportunities to use the language in different settings and grow in proficiency. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level so that you can clearly share the good news of Jesus, teach the Bible, and train leaders. Mastering the Thai language is a life-long endeavor.
Modern and inexpensive medical care is available throughout Thailand. Both Khon Kaen and Udon Thani have several great hospitals. Medications can be easily and inexpensively obtained.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
There are various schooling options depending on the location of housing, including international schools, homeschooling, and bilingual schools.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends, family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Applicant(s) should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
Please email the IPO office at [email protected]
As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which is modeled and reflected through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.