posted on January 19, 2022
aXcess: Join a Bangkok-Area Church-Planting Team
Looking for a challenge to spread God’s Kingdom in a country that is less than 1 percent Christian? Come and use your skills, giftings, and abilities to be a part of a church-planting team caring for the least-reached communities of the Bangkok metropolitan area!
- Reach out and share the gospel through your network of relationships
- Engage local people and express the love of Christ according to felt needs
- Develop relationships with Thai Christians that facilitate a cooperative outreach to the community
- Disciple new believers through mentoring relationships
- Train and coach Thai Christians who are emerging leaders
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of at least 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies
- Note: If a couple, one spouse must meet this requirement. It’s preferable that the other spouse holds a recognized bachelor’s degree, has strong ministry experience, and has completed the C&MA Polity course and at least 18 hours of Bible/theology and 12 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of 6 hours in cross-cultural or missions studies).
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 60
- Completion of Alliance ordination or consecration (all singles or one member per couple)
- Minimum of two years of successful Alliance Licensed Ministry Experience
- Have a strong reliance on God through prayer
- Be passionate about evangelism through a variety of methods to address felt needs
- Be committed to discipleship through mentoring relationships
- Be a coach who trains leaders
- Have a love for the local church
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
The Bangkok metropolitan area is rapidly developing with many modern facilities. Famous for its shopping malls and markets, Western products and foods are readily available. Transportation is convenient with an expanding sky train and subway train system, numerous public bus routes, and many taxis. Bangkok has a hot, humid climate.
After two years of Thai language study in Bangkok, the successful applicant will live in the local community of the new church plant where they will seek to introduce others to the light of Jesus, mentor them in Biblical faithfulness, and partner with Thai churches to plant new communities of faith. The Thai people are friendly and gracious, but they are still bound by the appeasement of evil spirits and the practice of the majority religions. Thailand has freedom of religion, so IWs are free to share their faith.
CIA World Factbook—Thailand
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive two years of intensive Thai language and cultural study followed by ongoing language and cultural acquisition. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a fluent level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
Modern and inexpensive medical care is available in the Bangkok area. Medications can easily be obtained through hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
There are many international schools in the Bangkok metropolitan area. Depending on the location of the new church plant, homeschooling may be the best option to avoid long commutes. Boarding school options are available at Grace Academy in Chiang Mai and Dalat International School in Penang, Malaysia, for middle and high school students.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends, family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Applicant(s) should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
Please email the IPO office at [email protected].
As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which is modeled and reflected through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.