posted on September 2, 2021
NATURALIST | ALLIANCE REDWOODS
Alliance Redwoods is an Alliance conference center in Northern California seeking a responsible naturalist.
- Employment Status: Seasonal (up to 10 months), Full-Time, Onsite Housing Available
- Team: Program Team
- Immediate Supervisor: Outdoor Education Manager
- Team Lead: Programs Manager
Alliance Redwoods is a Christian and Missionary Alliance conference center in Northern California operating year-round, serving approximately 55,000 guests a year, with an annual budget of about $10M+. ARCG is comprised of three ministries: Camps and Conferences, Sonoma Zipline Adventures, and Outdoor Education.
To instruct 5th and 6th-grade children through our Outdoor Education program during the Spring and Fall and to facilitate program activities throughout the year. Support other ARCG teams as we strive together to serve the needs of ARCG guests.
Description of Responsibilities
• Instruct 5th and 6th-grade children during the Fall and Spring in nature and ecology through six classes that involve animals, forest ecology, initiatives, streams, and ponds
• Lead trips to the ocean and Armstrong Woods for off-site environmental instructing
• Participate in a large variety of evening activities including night hikes, games, and campfires
• Each Naturalist is empowered to develop new material for activities that support the concepts of the program
• On the job training and participation in workshops with other Naturalists expand the teaching experience
• Facilitate the challenge course program (ropes course, climbing walls, lifeguarding, archery, canoeing/kayaking)
• Serve guests in Sonoma Zipline Adventures. This includes guiding, driving, and checking guests in.
• Serve guests in the Front Office/Coffee Central area. This includes answering phones, computer data entry, gift store duties, and maintaining the hospitality area.
• Serve other departments as needed, including Accommodations/Housekeeping, Maintenance and Food Services
• Training provided
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Born-again Christian with a Biblical lifestyle and an interest in maturing in one’s faith
• People skills, team player, and a servant’s attitude
• Self-disciplined and reliable
• Unwavering commitment to safety
• Ability to handle crisis events and work under authority
• Teaching or facilitating experience
• Physically fit to meet the demands of hiking the trails and facilitating the various challenge courses
• Healthy respect for heights and ability to overcome one’s fear of heights
• Communication skills including phone etiquette and basic computer skills
• 4-year degree or equivalent experience in a related field (Recreation, Education, Youth Camping Management).
• Experience in teaching, camps, or youth work preferred
• CPR and First Aid Certified, Lifeguard Certified preferred
To apply, complete the application the Alliance Redwoods website at https://allianceredwoods.com/employment/