posted on January 1, 2023
CAMA: Urban Community Development in a Unique City in Paraguay
Ciudad del Este is a dynamic, modern city on the border of Paraguay and Brazil. It is also home to a large population who practice the majority religion of the Middle East and close to marginalized indigenous communities that are just 2 percent evangelical. The blend of Middle Eastern, Latino, and indigenous peoples makes this a unique place for community development ministry through business development, agriculture, educational, or health projects.
- CAMA worker
- Partially funded (requested to raise partial support)
- Single or couple
- Learn Spanish and Guarani to a functional proficiency
- Work closely with local Alliance churches and Alliance workers from other countries in a multicultural team setting
- Focus on one or two key projects to respond to local needs
- Minister to marginalized peoples
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Perspectives Mission Course or another comparable mission course
- Alliance Polity course
- Experience in development work
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting
- Ability to articulate personal conversion and call to gospel ministry
- Demonstrated heart for the poor and marginalized (Micah 6:8)
- Theological alignment with The Alliance
- Demonstrated flexibility and grace in all aspects of life
- Vibrant spiritual life with consistent practice of spiritual disciplines
- Ability to learn and recover from failure
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
The Joshua Project—Paraguay
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive one year of intensive Spanish language and cultural study, followed by a second year of Guarani through tutoring or language coaching on the ground in Paraguay. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level.
The city has quality health care facilities. Workers often take advantage of the many physicians in the country who have studied in the United States and speak English.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting team objectives, depending on the nature of the family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Quality private schools in the city are available and affordable.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends, family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Applicant(s) should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
Please email Lisa Ramsey at [email protected].
CAMA Services is the relief and development specialized structure of Alliance Missions. As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which is modeled and reflected through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.