posted on January 18, 2022
aXcess: Ministry Among Immigrants and Refugees in Italy
Italy continues to receive wave after wave of immigrants and refugees, as it is one of the main entry points to the European Union. The successful applicant(s) will work with a new team to engage immigrants and refugees in Italy with the gospel in word and deed. The primary ministry focus will be on people who practice the majority religion of their home countries in North and West Africa and the Middle East.
- Build relationships intentionally
- Disciple new believers
- Participate in creative ministries
- Model Christ in word and deed
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of at least 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies
- Note: The spouse must hold a recognized bachelor’s degree, have strong ministry experience, and have completed the C&MA Polity course and at least 18 hours of Bible/theology and 15 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of six hours in cross-cultural or missions studies).
- A minimum of two years of successful Alliance Licensed Ministry Experience
- Completion of Alliance ordination/consecration (all single applicants or one partner per couple)
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 50
- Study of and/or personal experience with Middle Eastern or North African cultures
- Evangelism and discipleship experience
- Experience in refugee, immigrant, or social work
- Ability to speak Italian and/or the diaspora language
- Experience working with people who practice the majority religion of North Africa and the Middle East
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
The ministry focus will be a people group where less than 1 percent follow Jesus. People on the move, like immigrants and refugees, tend to be more open to the gospel. There has been exciting evidence of God at work, but the percentage of believers remains low.
CIA World Factbook – Italy
Joshua Project – Italy
Work and Living Environment:
The successful applicant(s) will live in an urban setting with high refugee and immigrant density. For more information on Italy’s role in the refugee and migrant crisis, click here.
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive two years of intense language study, followed by ongoing language and cultural acquisition. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
In addition, the successful applicant(s) may need to learn a second language at some level of proficiency.
Italy offers excellent health-care options in both the private and public sectors.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of famSpousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc. Family ministry is important in this context as the people being reached value family highly.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Local schools are available as well as some bilingual and international schooling options. Homeschooling is legal but not common in Italy. Black Forest Academy in Germany is an option for children in high school.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends, family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Applicant(s) should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
Please email the IPO office at [email protected]
As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which is modeled and reflected through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.