posted on January 18, 2022
aXcess: Jump into Fresh Flow of Gospel Access to This Country’s Largest Least-Reached People Group in Asia
We establish house fellowships by loving the people to maturity in Christ and modeling context-fitted work. Our team is passionate about working alongside national colleagues to reach the majority population of our country by living among them and offering prayer, proclaiming the gospel through stories and holistic development, and building capacity in a well-established social foundation in the south of the city.
- International worker (IW)—aXcess—vocational track
- Business development, church planting, community development (urban), discipleship, ESL/TESOL, evangelism, leadership development, NGO
- Partially funded
- Single or couple
- Create and develop a non-traditional missional platform for increased impact
- Proclaim the gospel through multiple creative mediums alongside like-minded nationals
- Fully engage in team life, accountability, and collaborative vision
- Commit yourself to becoming fluent in the language and culture
- Hone your skills and giftings in the context of your adopted people
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- Completion of the World Perspectives Mission Course (minimum of certificate level) or equivalent
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 50
- Christ-centered character
- Spiritual leadership
- Commitment to a healthy lifestyle, prayer, and the unity of the Body of Christ
- An understanding of biblical teachings on suffering
- Practical training and experience in cross-cultural ministry
- Education and/or experience with nonprofits
- Ability to identify, equip, and train evangelists
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
This team lives in a medium-sized, Asian city with the amenities and stresses that accompany urban life. While the weather is cooler than other locations in the country, expats find it difficult to locate appropriate outdoor venues for recreation and exercise. Despite long-term engagement, only 0.05 percent of this people group of more than 35 million claim to be Christ followers. We live among them with a sensitivity to their antipathy to the traditional Church and its culture of the West.
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive one year of intense language study followed by ongoing language and cultural acquisition. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
This city has good health-care facilities and well-trained doctors, and most medications are readily available. Serious health issues are typically handled in the country’s capital or Singapore.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
There are some excellent schooling options—both local (for lower grades) and international. Many choices are available, but travel to the school of your choice might be time-consuming.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends, family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Applicant(s) should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
Please email the IPO office at [email protected]
As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which is modeled and reflected through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.