posted on September 1, 2021
aXcess-Clergy Track: LEADERSHIP FORMATION FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS
The Alliance is looking for someone who is excited about offering teaching and mentoring to Bible students and pastors-in-training
We are seeking a couple or single person with teaching experience in a local church or Bible institute to be involved in teaching and some course preparation in cooperation with Alliance church leadership in Uruguay. They will teach a group of approximately 20 students each at Bible institutes in two different locations. One of the institutes is in the city of Rivera, located in Northern Uruguay, and the other is located in the capital city of Montevideo. There is also an opportunity to work in the area of administration and Christian education.
- Teach at the two Bible institutes located in Rivera and Montevideo
- Be available for mentorship ministry with the students
- Work closely with those being trained to become pastors in Alliance churches
- Become familiar with “orality” and develop evangelistic methods to respond to oral learners in preparation for greater ministry effectiveness
- Work with the Bible institute director and committee.
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of at least 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies
- Note: If a couple, one spouse must meet this requirement. It’s preferable that the other spouse holds a recognized bachelor’s degree, has strong ministry experience, and has completed the C&MA Polity course and at least 18 hours of Bible/theology and 12 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of six hours in cross-cultural or missions studies).
- Minimum of two years of successful Alliance Licensed Ministry Experience
- Completion of Alliance ordination/consecration (all single applicants or one member per couple)
- Training and ministry experience in teaching at a Bible institute
- Language proficiency
Biblical Characteristics Desired
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment
Summer/fall 2023. All appointees are required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program and Pre-Field Orientation prior to deploying.
There would be two possible options for living and working. One would be in the northern city of Rivera – which is about a six-hour drive from the capital city of Montevideo. The population of Rivera is approximately 120,000 people and living arrangements would be a house or an apartment. All utilities are available, including the internet. There is public transportation, medical facilities, and shopping readily available. The second would be in the capital city of Montevideo and frequent travel to teach in Rivera would be required. Also, there would be teaching students who live and work in Montevideo. There would be living and working arrangements with a vibrant team of C&MA missionaries who also live in Montevideo.
CIA World Factbook – Uruguay
Pew Research Center’s Religion & Public Life Project – Uruguay
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive one year of intense language study, followed by ongoing language and cultural acquisition. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
Previous experience in Spanish would be important for this MOD.
Adequate healthcare is readily available in either location. There are no major health risks.
Expectations for Spouse
Spousal roles vary, based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
It is anticipated that the spouse will be able to teach on occasion at the Bible institute or help in the area of administration and interaction with students and their families.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options
There is an accredited private school in Rivera for children, grades kindergarten through high school. There also are accredited private and/or international schools in Montevideo for children, grades kindergarten through high school.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends and family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fund-raising is available.
Applicants should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process.
Please email Stacy Douglas at [email protected]
The C&MA is an evangelical denomination committed to planting churches both in the United States and internationally. Due to the nature of this ministry opportunity, part of the required qualifications include optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These are assessed during the application process.