posted on September 2, 2021
LEAD PASTOR AT EVANGELICAL CHURCH OF BANGKOK
The Evangelical Church of Bangkok is in the process of searching for a new Lead Pastor.
The Evangelical Church of Bangkok (ECB) is in the process of searching for a new Lead Pastor. The search committee has prepared this document for interested and qualified candidates to consider and to submit their applications accordingly.
ECB Church Profile
The Evangelical Church of Bangkok (ECB) is an international church located in the heart of Bangkok (Thailand). ECB was founded in 1966 by the Christian & Missionary Alliance and has over the past five decades grown from a preaching post for missionaries into a multicultural faith community of around 1,000 adults and 250 children from 50+ nations around the world. The foundations on which ECB’s ministry is built are the centrality of Christ, faithfulness to the infallible Word of God, and prayer as the “first work”.
ECB’s mission consists of equipping global disciples who in turn make disciples. Central to this mission is ECB’s emphasis on age-appropriate discipleship programs (adults, students, and children), LIFE groups (the smaller expression of the larger community of faith), and partnerships with various Christian NGOs, through which ECB implements its missional strategy.
In determining what ministries to engage, ECB uses the following values (the “four E’s”):
- Exalt – Connecting all of life “outside the walls” to the Presence of God (Jeremiah 9:23-24)
- Edify – Building up believers in Jesus. (Colossians 2:6-7)
- Equip – Training disciples of Jesus with the Word of God as “food”. (Matthew 4:4)
- Extend – Embodying the Gospel wherever disciples are sent. (Luke 24:48)
ECB’s faith community consists of many different cultural and denominational backgrounds, which gives the church a unique feel. ECB’s texture can be best described as one of passionate participation in corporate worship gatherings, hunger for spiritual growth, and active participation by ministry volunteers.
International church ministry in a city like Bangkok comes with multiple opportunities and challenges. Increasing ECB’s missional footprint, equipping marketplace executives for effective ministry in their workplaces and the broader sharing of ECB’s campus facilities to secular and religious organizations are just three of the many opportunities for ECB in the coming years. The challenges for ECB include doing ministry in an intercultural and bilingual setting and the ongoing need to recruit ministry volunteers given the transient nature of the congregation.
ECB employs a full-time team of 27 people, including pastors (4), office staff (8), and facility staff (15). The ministries are further supported by a committed team of ministry leaders and hundreds of ministry volunteers, who are the driving force behind ECB’s ministry. ECB’s campus includes two worship centers, a fellowship area, classrooms for discipleship training, a dedicated floor for children’s ministry, and apartments for two pastoral families.
Lead Pastor Profile
The Lead Pastor is responsible for leading, preaching, teaching, training, counseling, and representing the church ministry as an expression and exercise of ECB’s disciple-making mission. The Lead Pastor is committed to upholding doctrinal integrity and biblical faithfulness among other leaders and ministry volunteers, unifying the message and teaching of ECB. In addition to aligning with ECB’s vision and statement of faith, the Lead Pastor supports and oversees the implementation of the policies, strategic direction, and priorities established by the Elder Board.
The essential functions of the Lead Pastor are to lead in the following areas:
- Supervising ECB’s overall ministry, in close partnership with the pastoral team and ministry leaders.
- Equipping the church through biblical teaching.
- Developing and implementing the church’s vision.
- Communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Motivating, developing and empowering ECB’s staff and ministry leaders.
Below are the qualifications ECB is looking for in a new Lead Pastor.
- Is a Spirit-filled follower of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Agrees with the ECB statement of faith (https://www.ecb.asia/what-we-believe).
- Upholds biblical standards of conduct that reflect Christ’s high call.
- Demonstrates a heart for mission.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of an M.Div. or Th.M. degree or another advanced degree from an accredited seminary or Bible college.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as Lead Pastor within the evangelical tradition in a congregation of 500 or more.
- Experience leading multiple staff and ministering in a multicultural congregation.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with living, studying, or working abroad (preferred).
- Proven organizational and coordination skills to lend integrity and consistency to a unified overall ministry.
- Ability to identify and develop emerging leaders.
- Proven counseling skills to oversee and refer the care of congregants and staff.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Elder Board coordination and church constitutional responsibility.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead collaboratively, build teams, and empower staff to carry out the ECB vision.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit the following documents and information per email to Travis Smith, Chairman of the ECB Elder board at [email protected]:
- Resume (Curriculum Vitae)
- Statement of motivation and sense of God’s leading for submitting this application (1 page).
- Faith story and testimony of current walk with Jesus Christ (1-2 pages).
- Description of calling for pastoral ministry (1 page).
Applications will be received throughout the process, however, preference will be given to those candidates who apply before 28 February 2021.
ECB welcomes qualified applicants from both within and outside the Christian & Missionary Alliance (CMA).
ECB offers a remuneration package that includes salary, pension contribution, health insurance, housing and schooling for accompanying children (18 years and under). ECB also accommodates the move to Thailand and the visa process.
The preferred starting date for the new Lead Pastor is July 1, 2021, or anytime soon thereafter.
This document is not a complete list of all functions that the incumbent is expected to perform, but is instead a summary of the primary responsibilities and requirements of the role.
For more information about ECB, please visit www.ecb.asia.