posted on January 19, 2022
Envision: Site Associate—Guesthouse Manager in the Dominican Republic
Envision DR needs someone gifted in hospitality. Come join a growing team in the former capital of the Spanish empire in the Western Hemisphere. As short-term teams and interns join the long-term work of The Alliance in the DR, we need teammates to run our guesthouse and housing facilities at our student center. Invest your lives in the next generation of missional leaders while creating a culture of discipleship and development. We need someone who is highly gifted in administration and hospitality. Engagement with other Envision DR ministries, as time allows, will be encouraged.
- Manage day-to-day operations of guesthouse
- Oversee the guesthouse and coffee shop maintenance
- Coordinate kitchen and cleaning staff during short-term teams
- Disciple interns and teams during their time in the DR
- Engage in other areas of ministry as giftings and time allows
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- Completion of the World Perspectives Mission course (minimum of certificate level) or equivalent
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 35
- Flexibility in work schedule and daily responsibilities
- Highly developed interpersonal skills
- Ability to apply the Word of God in a wholistic discipleship relationship
- Love for the church and a desire to participate in healthy body life
- High organizational skills
- Conversational-level Spanish
- Bachelor’s degree with ministry or business focus
- Track record and testimony of discipleship of others
- Experience in facilities management
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
Applicants would live in the oldest “western” city in the Americas. Apartment living would probably be the norm with easy access to the Caribbean Sea. As the Dominican is relatively close to the United States, access to a lot of American products is possible. Friendliness and hospitality are high values among most Dominicans. The Catholic faith dominates culture, and it can, at times, be difficult to convince people of the need for a personal Savior. As a developing country, electricity, high speed Wi-Fi, and other services are fairly reliable in the city, but not outside the city.
CIA World Factbook – Dominican Republic
Joshua Project – Dominican Republic
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive one year of intense language study followed by ongoing language and cultural acquisition. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
The Dominican health system is fairly well-developed, and except for serious major surgery, you can have confidence in the health system. If you struggle health-wise with heat, the Dominican may not be a good location.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Both spouses are expected to be full members of the team, while allowing for healthy family dynamics, especially concerning children.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Children’s education can be accomplished in one of two ways. Homeschooling is allowed in the DR, and if a family chooses to use this option, it will be supported. The other option is private bilingual schools. Several schools in Santo Domingo provide Dominican and American accreditation in a quality learning environment.