posted on January 1, 2023
Envision: Director of Operations in Atlanta
Envision Atlanta is a ministry hub in the most diverse square mile in the U.S. Due to the many aspects of our site, including hosting short-term trips and interns, ESL instruction, tutoring for refugee students, and a thriving refugee youth ministry, we need an administrative- and mission-minded individual to oversee our operations. The director of operations is a leadership position requiring both a passion for seeing Christ exalted among the refugees in Clarkston and a business background and/or experience in non-profit administration.
- Provide financial oversight alongside the bookkeeper
- Maintain staff and volunteer credentials, including background checks and policy sign-offs
- Manage property, including the Friendship Center house and warehouse, vehicles, and apartments rented
- Provide support for the district superintendent and Envision Atlanta Board, including audits and necessary paperwork
- Provide leadership for the site, including holding a position on the leadership team and assisting ministries with administrative requirements
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- Completion of the World Perspectives Mission Course (minimum of certificate level) or equivalent
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 20
- Experience in business and/or non-profit administration
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Beginning as early as summer/fall 2023. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program (as applicable), and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
Envision Atlanta is located in Clarkston, Georgia, a small part of the urban Atlanta area. Clarkston is 1.7 square miles and is home to over 16,000 people—most of whom are refugees from war-torn countries all over the world, including Syria, Somalia, Congo, Afghanistan, and Ethiopia. Over 60 different languages are spoken, and the majority of the population lives in poverty.
Language is an essential part of ministry. In Clarkston, one can speak only English and be successful. However, a knowledge of and/or willingness to learn another language is a benefit. Arabic, Swahili, French, Pashto/Dari, and Amharic are major languages spoken in Clarkston.
Most of the apartments and homes in Clarkston contain mold and pests. People whose immune and respiratory systems are compromised should exercise caution.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Clarkston is within the DeKalb County School District, which includes both charter and magnet schools. Private schools and homeschooling options are available at your own expense.