posted on January 1, 2023
aXcess: Community Development and Church Planting in Timika
The qualified applicant will be part of the larger multi-approach team in Papua. They will work with the national church in the development of national church leaders for the strengthening of the church and for greater clarity in its vision to reach the growing migrant population in and around Timika.
- Be part of the multi-approach team in Papua
- Work with the local C&MA theological school in Timika, encouraging staff and students to have a broad vision of outreach in the community
- Develop strategies from community development in the city and in surrounding areas of displaced communities
- Work with other local C&MA IWs (CAMA) for literacy development in the city and in surrounding areas
- Teach extension classes at two other C&MA theological schools in Papua
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of at least 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies
- Spouse must hold a recognized bachelor’s degree and have completed at least 18 hours of Bible/theology, 12 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of 6 hours in cross-cultural or missions studies)
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- Completion of Alliance ordination/consecration
- Minimum of two years successful Alliance Licensed Ministry Experience
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 40
- Community development experience or training
- M.A. in ministry/theology/Bible/intercultural studies
- TESOL certificate
- PhD in Bible/theology
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall of 2024. Following appointment, and once fundraising goals and other qualifications are met, the appointee is required to attend a cross-cultural and language-acquisition program, and pre-field orientation prior to deploying.
Indonesia is a large archipelago made up of over 17,000 islands and 583 languages. It is the largest nation in the world that subscribes to the majority religion of the Middle East, with a total population of over 200 million. About 30 percent of the population lives below the poverty line. The Alliance first entered Indonesia in 1929, and now the national church has grown and is self-sustaining with multiple Bible schools across the nation where pastors and teachers are trained for ministry and to teach the lost.
You will live on the coastal part of Papua, the furthest island to the east in Indonesia. This is a growing city with many displaced persons coming out of their homes in the mountain valleys.
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive one year of intense language study followed by ongoing language and cultural acquisition. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to communicate, mentor, teach, and train others.
Well-trained doctors and medicines are generally available, though serious illnesses or medical emergencies are best handled in Jakarta or Singapore.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Local and international schools are available for placement in Papua. There are also several choices of boarding schools—two in Indonesia and one in Malaysia. Home schooling is also an option.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends, family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fundraising is available.
Applicant(s) should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process has begun or is completed.
Please email the IPO office at [email protected]
As part of an evangelical denomination, we are committed to biblical holism, which is modeled and reflected through our work. Due to this commitment, part of the required qualifications includes optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These will be assessed during the application process.