posted on September 1, 2021
aXcess-Clergy Track: REACH MIGRANT INDONESIANS IN TAIWAN
The Alliance is looking for someone who is excited about a unique opportunity to connect with and bless Indonesians
- International worker (IW)—Clergy Track
- Community center
- Refugee/migrant work
- Partially funded (requested to raise partial support)
- Single or couple
Indonesians live EVERYWHERE in Taiwan – 250 thousand of them! Some of them come to marry Taiwanese men and remain in Taiwan raising families, but many come as factory workers or caregivers for the elderly. Our Team is seeking to introduce them to Christ through friendship evangelism and one-on-one discipleship.
We desire to reach them where they are – sometimes meeting in parks or other public gathering places. When possible, fellowships are developed which meet within a larger ministry context of a local church.
- Learn the local language of Mandarin Chinese
- Make new contacts and develop relationships within the Indonesian community, seeking opportunities to share Christ through friendship evangelism
- Evangelize and disciple Indonesians and their Taiwanese families
- Develop relationships within the Taiwan C&MA national church in order to cast vision and partner in outreach to Indonesians around the island
- Help connect Indonesians who are permanent Taiwan residents to local churches where they and their families will continue to grow in Christ
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of at least 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies
- Note: If a couple, one spouse must meet this requirement. It’s preferable that the other spouse holds a recognized bachelor’s degree, has strong ministry experience, and has completed the C&MA Polity course and at least 18 hours of Bible/theology and 12 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of six hours in cross-cultural or missions studies).
- Minimum of two years of successful Alliance licensed ministry experience
- Completion of Alliance ordination/consecration (all single applicants or one partner per couple)
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 60 or above
- Fluency in the Indonesian language
- At least two years of full-time ministry experience within the U.S. as a licensed worker with the C&MA (required for Taiwan Religious Worker Visa)
- Experience in evangelism, discipleship and leadership development within an Indonesian cultural context.
- Ability to work within a team structure.
Biblical Characteristics Desired
- Biblically grounded
- Competently skilled
Timeline for Deployment
Summer/fall 2022. All appointees are required to attend a cross-cultural and language- acquisition program and Pre-Field Orientation prior to deploying.
Currently, our Indonesian Diaspora work is located in the southern city of Kaohsiung, the second-largest city in Taiwan. Kaohsiung is an urban center with a convenient public transportation system and an abundance of shopping and medical options, making it a comfortable, safe, and convenient place to live and work. Since Indonesians are spread out over all of Taiwan, the location of future ministry within Taiwan is flexible.
Though churches and Christian ministries are accessible in Taiwan and there is religious freedom, Taiwanese people remain largely resistant to the gospel. Because of challenges often faced in living far from their home countries, many Indonesians in Taiwan are more responsive to the gospel and the expressions of loving concern given by Christians.
CIA World Factbook – Taiwan
Joshua Project – Taiwan
Language is an essential part of ministry. The successful applicant(s) will receive one year of intense language study, followed by ongoing language and cultural acquisition. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
Although Indonesian will be the primary ministry language for this role, IWs will attend a period of intensive full-time, Mandarin language and cultural study for a period of at least one year, and up to two years, to enable them to live, communicate and work effectively in Taiwan. Normally, Mandarin will be studied at the Taipei Language Institute – Kaohsiung Branch. IWs will be expected to be disciplined and intentionally persevering in language learning.
Taiwan has good healthcare facilities, well-trained doctors, and most medications are readily available. IWs will be covered under Taiwan’s national health insurance which provides inexpensive and accessible healthcare.
Expectations for Spouse
Spousal roles vary, based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options
IW children attend school at Morrison Christian Academy. There are several campuses located in Taiwan, including Kaohsiung, Taipei, Taichung and Chiayi.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends and family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fund-raising is available.
Applicants should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process.
Please email Stacy Douglas at [email protected]
The C&MA is an evangelical denomination committed to planting churches both in the United States and internationally. Due to the nature of this ministry opportunity, part of the required qualifications include optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These are assessed during the application process.