posted on September 1, 2021
aXcess-Clergy Track: CHURCH PLANTING AND DISCIPLESHIP IN THE MIDDLE EAST
The Alliance is looking for a creative church planter and disciple-maker.
From a strategic Middle Eastern city, there is enormous potential to reach countries that make daily headlines with the good news. The successful applicant(s) will work with an existing team to teach English at an NGO-based community center that touches hundreds of families. There are numerous opportunities through the center and the established international church to create house church networks. By God’s grace, the team has the vision to launch a new ministry in a smaller, untouched city nearby.
- Spend 20–24 months in full-time language study in the city while also developing relationships
- Serve at the English center and international church, seeking to establish meaningful contacts
- Disciple and multiply individuals and groups
- Flexibility to meet life’s demands
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of at least 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies. Note: If a couple, one spouse must meet this requirement. It’s preferable that the other spouse holds a recognized bachelor’s degree, has strong ministry experience, and has completed the C&MA Polity course and at least 18 hours of Bible/theology and 15 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of 6 hours in cross-cultural or missions studies)
- Minimum of two years of successful Alliance Licensed Ministry Experience
- Completion of Alliance ordination/consecration (all singles or one partner per couple)
- Strong understanding of the Church and a passion to see it multiply
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 40 (50 or above preferred)
- TESOL or TEFL certification
- Training or experience in community development
- Established track record of discipleship
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Kingdom Minded
- Biblical Grounded
- Spirit Dependent
- Competently Skilled
- Self Disciplined
Timeline for Deployment:
Summer/fall 2022. All appointees are required to attend a cross-cultural and language acquisition program and Pre-Field Orientation prior to deploying.
This city is home to about 1 million people—a long-oppressed people with a proud history of artisans and poets.
Work and Living Environment:
People are eager to learn English from native speakers, and the culture is generally hospitable to Westerners. Electricity and water services are undependable. There are a growing number of Western-style brands, retail chains, and restaurants. Most families on the team live in houses or apartments in the community they are seeking to impact.
Status of Christian Witness:
The people of this region mainly practice the majority religion. The international (Alliance) church is registered and locals may freely attend. The full Bible was first published in the local language last year. Persecution takes the form of social ostracizing, and it has turned violent at times. The government officially allows freedom of religion, however, and Christians are rarely jailed. Dozens of locals have “professed” faith at some point, and there are about 15 visible local churches throughout the region.
Language is an essential part of ministry. IWs receive two years of intensive language and cultural study. The goal will be to speak, read, and write the language at a functional level in order to mentor, teach, and train others.
Good health to thrive in this environment. There is a local, foreign-staffed private hospital and a few accomplished specialists, but public health care, in general, is sub-standard. Pharmacies carry most medicines, and any routine procedures can be done locally. Major non-emergency surgeries should be done abroad.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Good schooling options are quite limited. There are several English international schools, but some lack upper grades or only offer a minimal curriculum. Some IWs choose to homeschool or utilize online classes.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends and family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fund-raising is available.
Applicants should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process.
Please email Stacy Douglas at [email protected]
The C&MA is an evangelical denomination committed to planting churches both in the United States and internationally. Due to the nature of this ministry opportunity, part of the required qualifications include optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These are assessed during the application process.