posted on September 1, 2021
aXcess-Clergy Track: BRING LIFE TO THE VIETNAMESE IN CAMBODIA
The Alliance is looking for a disciple-maker to serve among the Vietnamese in Cambodia.
The successful applicant(s) will invest his or her life to bring true hope to these people. He or she will join a team of IWs and Vietnamese believers, developing an expanding network of Jesus’ disciples among Vietnamese youth and young adults, many of whom have never heard His name.
- A recognized bachelor’s degree
- Completion of a minimum of 30 hours of Bible/theology/ministry and 15 hours of intercultural studies
- The spouse must hold a recognized bachelor’s degree and have completed a minimum of 18 hours of Bible/theology and 15 hours of missions/ministry studies (with a minimum of 6 hours in cross-cultural or missions studies).
- Completion of Alliance Polity course
- A minimum Modern Language Aptitude Test (MLAT) score of 60
- Completion of Alliance ordination/consecration
- Minimum of two years successful Alliance Licensed Ministry Experience
- Discipleship experience
Biblical Characteristics Desired:
- Kingdom minded
- Biblically grounded
- Spirit dependent
- Competently skilled
- A passionate heart for unreached peoples
- Experience discipling youth and young adults
- Cross-cultural ministry experience
- Learn the Khmer and Vietnamese languages
- Work with a small team to develop a disciplemaking movement among Vietnamese youth in Cambodia
- Develop significant relationships that lead to opportunities to share faith and disciple believers, who in turn disciple others
- Work with existing and new communities of faith to encourage their healthy multiplication
Timeline for Deployment:
Late summer 2022. All appointees are required to attend a cross-cultural and language acquisition program and Pre-Field Orientation prior to deploying.
CIA World Factbook—Cambodia.
Work and Living Environment:
The successful applicant will work on a small team composed of international workers and local believers, serving in areas with high concentrations of Vietnamese people in southeastern Cambodia.
Status of Christian Witness:
There are more than 750,000 Vietnamese who live in Cambodia; on average, less than 1 in 500 is evangelical.
Language is an essential part of ministry. IWs receive one year of intensive language and cultural study followed by a year of half-time language study within the context of ministry. For this position, Vietnamese will be studied first because it is the ministry language. Khmer, the national language, will also be required to learn at a basic level. The goal will be to speak, read, and write well to share the good news of Jesus.
Good health is required since Cambodia is part of the developing world.
Expectations for Spouse:
Spousal roles vary based on the spouse’s gifts, training, and abilities, as well as the needs of the team. It is expected that both spouses will be meaningfully involved in meeting ministry objectives, depending on the nature of family roles, children, etc.
Children’s Educational Plan and Options:
Phnom Penh has two quality international Christian academic institutions: Hope International School and Logos International School.
The successful applicant(s) will receive a full compensation package with the expectation that, once appointed, efforts will be made to raise a portion of support costs through the applicant’s network of friends and family, local church, or other resources. Information on support costs will be made available upon application. Training and/or coaching in fund-raising is available.
Applicants should be aware that serving in the international world often requires a higher degree of grace and flexibility. For example, overseas teams can be suddenly and unexpectedly impacted by illness, government decisions, financial realities, team changes, or other factors beyond the team’s control. The challenge for applicants is that these factors can sometimes necessitate the sudden redefining of a position, which may take place before, during, or after the application/interview process.
Please email Stacy Douglas at [email protected]
The C&MA is an evangelical denomination committed to planting churches both in the United States and internationally. Due to the nature of this ministry opportunity, part of the required qualifications include optimal emotional, spiritual, and physical health. These are assessed during the application process.