Tim and Marilyn Westergren
Twenty Year Anniversary in Spain
On August 10th 20 years ago the Westergren family arrived in Spain!
Sarah celebrated her first birthday four days later, but Hannah had not yet joined us. Marilyn´s mom had left us for glory only six weeks earlier, so our hearts were grieving still. We landed in the dog days of summer, to a dry heat like an oven. Madrid was a ghost town since, in those days, most Spaniards vacationed the whole month of August. The washer broke down that month, and we were robbed: From our 16th-floor apartment we watched helplessly one night as some thieves rapidly stole the tires off of our loaned van (they wanted the rims). Quite the start!
Yet, we did not lose heart because God had given us a promise for our life in Spain. What better way to mark the day than to remind ourselves and you again (for those who have been praying for us for that long). Ephesians 2:10 is true for all those who are in Christ Jesus:
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works,
which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Porque somos hechura de Dios, creados en Cristo Jesús para buenas obras,
las cuales Dios ha preparado de antemano para que anduviésemos en ellas.
Our return has been full of signs of the Father having prepared good works in advance of our arrival that we might walk in them. Besides the ten great answers we sent just a few days ago, we have the joy of baptizing four followers of Christ on August 24th! Two are nineteen and two are a married couple: Tijmen, Adriana, Giovanny & Viviana. Rejoice with us!
We remain your fellow servants for Christ´s sake,
Tim & Marilyn
Sector Pueblos 32, 1-Dcha.
28760 Tres Cantos
We serve the Kingdom of God in Spain through the networked, cooperative efforts of The Alliance (of Christians and missionaries who live out the call of the Great Commission together). We are wholly and perseveringly supported by The Great Commission Fund of The Alliance. We are gratefully supported by many Christians who are allied with us as missionaries to touch this country and 60 others where we have been called to serve.
Prayer Requests/Answers to Prayer
TEN GREAT ANSWERS TO YOUR PRAYER
1. VBS 2014 is now history—salvation history for four children and one teen! Pray for the follow-up of these kids through our children´s clubs and youth group. We know and love their parents already, so we have a bridge of trust that has stood the weight of truth
2. VBS fulfilled another goal of training and encouraging members of our local church: We had 7 adults and 11 teens from the congregation serving alongside the fantastic four from the USA. Marilyn and I played coordinating roles only.
3. We had a total of 18 kids in the end—not the 25 we aimed for, but the ages evened out and made a good nucleus. The parents and host families came to the closing celebration at the end and heard all the verses and songs from VBS about God´s provision of protection.
4. One of the children who came is the four-year-old son of the couple who gave their lives to Christ last week. We picked up our counseling with them after their vacation. Pray for them intensively; they are not out of the woods yet!
5. You prayed for Bonnie, Trudy and Suzanne, the three musketeers from Derwood Alliance, and God sent a fourth woman to stand with them! Mali Thompson joined the band last minute and fixed lunch for the whole team all five days. They were all fantastic! They are also building bridges of trust with their Spanish host families until Wednesday. What sweet exhaustion we all feel. . .
6. Through your prayers God has confirmed an intense interest in LifeTree Café. We prayed that God would send us adults who would ask for this very kind of thing. Gema asked first, and then we´ve had at least five other inquire already. And we haven´t sent out one piece of promo yet!
7. Jaime led our second pastoral team meeting last week. We have a good rapport and are expectant at what God will do. We have a one-day retreat planned for early September.
8. The pastors of the three evangelical churches in Tres Cantos support overwhelmingly the Christian school initiative. We will form a board and begin to field test the idea with parents.
9. Thank you for praying for our daughters. Katey is on the plane right now for Korea! Contract, housing and her beau Kyu are all awaiting her! Sarah has almost finished her summer sales marathon. Her roomie´s car broke down so they need a car for deliveries! Keep praying! Hannah has finished her summer job and will leave for Wheaton on August 16th.
10. We have had two new families attending this summer. One of the dad´s Emilio has introduced two other families to our fellowship. Three of those four families came to Sunday´s Body Life Gathering. We are gaining momentum again after two years of economy-driven diaspora.
We thank God for your participation in prayer and for your intercession before the throne of grace on our behalf. Pray for my witness to the sister of a new Christian. She has gotten messed up with Jehovah´s Witnesses.
Living Out the Great Commission through You,
Tim and Marilyn
Updated: August 12, 2014
- Children's Names
- Field Assignment
- Country of Service
- Pueblos, 32, 1-D
- 28760 Tres Cantos
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »