In the 1930s, Alliance missionaries arrived in Thailand, the most Buddhist nation on earth. They sailed on bamboo rafts to share Christ’s love in remote villages that had never been touched by the gospel. The group of six missionaries was attempting to reach more than 5 million people with the good news of Jesus.
During the 1950s, Alliance workers ministered to thousands of people stricken by leprosy. This outreach led to the establishment of the Maranatha Bible School, the first school in the world with a four-year curriculum for leprous students. Since Alliance ministry began in Thailand, 110 churches have been established with about 7,000 inclusive members. Our workers are involved in church planting, leadership training, prison outreach, and holistic ministry.
Today, Thai history is being made as Buddhists respond to the gospel in greater numbers than ever before. More Alliance churches have been started in the last 15 years than at any other time in the 180 years since Protestant missionaries first arrived. Our workers are partnering with the Gospel Church of Thailand, the C&MA national church, to plant missionary minded churches with a passion to reach out beyond their own cultural and linguistic boundaries.
In addition, about 1,000 expatriates from more than 40 nations come together in the heart of downtown Bangkok to worship Jesus at the Evangelical Church of Bangkok, an Alliance international church. Well over 1000 couples have attended ALMA Marriage Encounter weekends since the work began in 2001, and dozens have received Christ as Savior. Yet the needs in Thailand remain great, as more than 99% of the population has yet to receive Jesus.
The Gospel Church of Thailand: 90 organized churches, 22 unorganized groups, 18 ordained ministers, 3,965 baptized members, and 5,331 inclusive members
- Plant reproducing national missionary churches using a variety of methods.
- Train national leadership, both formally and informally, to plant churches and to lead them to maturity in Christ.
- Assist the C&MA national church in becoming self-supporting, church-planting, and missionary-sending.
- Partner with the C&MA national church to demonstrate the love of Christ wholistically and to respond to specific social needs, resulting in healthy churches, effective evangelism, and dynamic church planting.
- Develop an exit strategy that identifies criteria to be met for U.S. mission personnel to be redeployed to other ministries in Thailand and around the world. Acquire local and global prayer support for these objectives.
International Workers in Thailand
The Alliance at Work in Thailand
Bale, celebrating her first Christmas this year as a believer, was headed down a dark path when she met an Alliance international worker.read more
See how Christ’s birth is celebrated in various Alliance fields around the world.read more
When Ed arrived at Nun’s shop, he felt a dark presence.read more
How the first C&MA workers in Thailand paved the way for the ministry of todayread more
Sunun knew he would die if Jesus did not deliver him from his addiction.read more
- Infant mortality rate—20.5/1,000
- Life expectancy—71.6
- Capital City
- Bangkok (8,838,500) pop.
- A little more than twice the size of Wyoming, Thailand (198,455 sq. mi.) has a plateau in the northeast, a fertile river valley in the center, and rain forests in the south.
- ethnic/regional dialects
- Per capita income—$8,100
- Literacy rate—96% (2003 est.)
- Government/Political Climate
- Known as Siam until 1939, Thailand is the only Southeast Asian country never to have been taken over by a European power. A bloodless revolution in 1932 led to a constitutional monarchy. Thailand is currently facing armed violence in its three Muslim-majority southernmost provinces.
Support the Mission
Alliance ministry in Thailand is primarily funded through the Great Commission Fund. Help fulfill Jesus’ Great Commission and make a gift to the GCF today.
Give to Special Projects
These field-approved projects are funded by donations in addition to the GCF. Click and give today.
- Church Planting/Danneker
- Center for Leadership Development
- Northeastern Bible Seminary/Quinlan
- Northeast Bible Seminary Endowment/Quinlan
- Khaolak Christian Primary School
- Northeastern Bible Seminary Vehicle
- Alliance Mission Home OP Costs/Repair Projects
- Thailand Field Forum
Envision Thailand Team
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »