The Alliance entered Panama in 1998, and our workers are engaged primarily in church-planting ministries, focusing on Chinese immigrants. A vibrant Chinese Alliance church has been established in Panama City, where our workers are reaching out to this influential ethnic community with the love of Jesus.
1 organized church, 1 unorganized group, 2 ordained ministers, 91 baptized members, and 99 inclusive members
The Alliance at Work in Panama
- Infant mortality rate—20.5/1,000
- Life expectancy—71.9
- Capital City
- Panama City (1,053,500) pop.
- Slightly smaller than South Carolina, Panama (30,193 sq. mi.) consists of mountains in the west, moderate hills in the interior, and a low range on the east coast. The Panama Canal bisects the isthmus at its narrowest and lowest point.
- Spanish (official)
- Amerindian, mixed—15%
- Per capita income—$6,900
- Literacy rate—93% (2003 est.)
- Government/Political Climate
- Republic with a constitutional democracy. Dictator Manuel Noriega was deposed in 1989. The entire Panama Canal, the area supporting the Canal, and remaining U.S. military bases were turned over to Panama in 1999.
- Roman Catholic—85%
Support the Mission
Alliance ministry in Panama is primarily funded through the Great Commission Fund. Help fulfill Jesus’ Great Commission and make a gift to the GCF today.
Give to Special Projects
These field-approved projects are funded by donations in addition to the GCF. Click and give today.
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »