In 1928, pioneer missionary Robert A. Jaffray surveyed Indonesia, known then as the East Indies. Even as the Great Depression threatened to curtail his work, Jaffray urged The Alliance to move forward. Hundreds of churches were established, Bible schools sprang up, and C&MA missionaries shared the good news of Jesus with people groups scattered across the world’s largest archipelago nation.
Since 1929, 3,000 Alliance churches have been established throughout Indonesia’s 1,800 islands. Nearly 375,000 believers worship in the Gospel Tabernacle Church of Indonesia, or GKII, the Alliance national church. Our ministries include holistic development, outreach to children and youth, and theological education. Currently, about 3,300 students study at 35 C&MA Bible colleges.
Gospel Tabernacle Church of Indonesia All-Indonesia Executive Committee: 1,898 organized churches, 601 unorganized groups, 1,250 ordained ministers, 200,660 baptized members, and 373,134 inclusive members
- Establish contextual ministries throughout Indonesia by developing relationships and strategies designed to form groups of believers who live their faith in a contextual manner in their communities. This approach allows for a credible Christian witness among otherwise closed groups. Currently, such ministries exist in West Java, North Coast-Central Java, and East Indonesia. The mission desires to place teams in South Kalimantan where the people are highly resistant and in Papua among transmigrants.
- Rebuild communities in the tsunami-affected areas of Aceh. In partnership with other organizations, our workers are building fishing boats, ice factories, rice hullers, houses, fish farms, and community livelihood projects, which allow us to maintain a presence in this highly resistant region. Pray that God’s Kingdom will prevail amid of great devastation and spiritual darkness.
- Realign structure and reposition facilities to meet the challenges of the changing dynamics of mission strategy, mission and national church relationships, and personnel needs. Pray for wisdom in making decisions and that everyone will feel a sense of ownership. Pray that the mission will make adjustments in such a way that the national church will not feel abandoned.
International Workers in Indonesia
The Alliance at Work in Indonesia
When Dan’s religious teacher didn’t know how to answer his questions about Jesus, Dan said, “Why don’t we ask one of His followers?”read more
Joy’s parents wanted the local religious leader to visit her, but she refused. “I want Miss Anna to pray for me.”read more
The assailants were reportedly ISIS members.read more
The plane was mobbed by hundreds of people telling us to get out so they could kill us.read more
In front of hundreds of witnesses, the influential war chief—who had killed and cannibalized his victims—burned his fetishes.read more
- Infant mortality rate—35.6/1,000
- Life expectancy—69.6
- Capital City
- Jakarta (17,891,000) pop.
- With a land mass slightly less than three times the size of Texas, Indonesia (741,096 sq. mi.) is an archipelago of 17,000 islands straddling the equator. It consists mainly of tropical lowlands and has the largest number of active volcanoes in the world. Earthquakes are frequent.
- Bahasa Indonesia (official)
- 580+ languages and dialects
- Coastal Malays—7.5%
- Per capita income—$3,500
- Literacy rate—89% (2003 est.)
- Government/Political Climate
- Republic. Indonesia declared independence in 1945. Current issues include: alleviating widespread poverty, preventing terrorism, and holding the military and police accountable for human rights violations.
- Roman Catholic—3%
Support the Mission
Alliance ministry in Indonesia is primarily funded through the Great Commission Fund. Help fulfill Jesus’ Great Commission and make a gift to the GCF today.
Give to Special Projects
These field-approved projects are funded by donations in addition to the GCF. Click and give today.
- West Java Camp Bldgs/Gaskin
- Good News Summer Camps/Gaskin
- Youth Ministries/Grinnell
- Transmigrant Ministries/Jordan
- Bandung Intl Church/Dyck
- Papua Youth Center/Jordan
- Bali Ministries/Lewis
- Sumatra 2021 Church Planting Initiative
- Children's Schlrshps/Gaskin
- STTS Campus Dev/Teeter
- Green Gate Training Center
- Timika Theological School/Papua
- Judy Gaskin HCD Scholarship Fund
- Theological Education in Indonesia
- Kalam Hidup/New Books/Kendall
- Wolani NT Pub/Burkhart
- Printing-Westrn Dani OT/Larson
- Printing Damal Scripture/Jordan
- Ngalik OT Translation
- Lower Grand Valley Language Bible Translation
- Medicines For Dispensaries
- Papua AIDS Initiative
- Jaffray Retreat Center
Is God calling you to service? We’re here to help you connect your passion with God’s purpose.
Serve with The Alliance »